The Homeless Charity is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit located in Akron, OH. We have both a national interest and local focus on seeking innovative ways to end homelessness. More specifically, we seek to meet the homeless where they are today to get them to where they want to go tomorrow by offering transitional support services that bridge the gap between street living and home living.
In this way, The Homeless Charity moves beyond warehousing chronically homeless to help people thrive within, while also transitioning from, homelessness.
We currently offer an all-homeless, volunteer run, community center in downtown Akron’s Middlebury neighborhood.
The facility houses:
- Free shower, bathroom and laundry facility for all area homeless
- Computer lab with free wifi
- Woodworking shop for maker opportunities
- A thrift store — The Second Chance Store — that offers free housewares, clothing, furniture and more for area low income and homeless
- Raised Bed Community Garden
- Portable outdoor restroom
- Free tents / tent space for sober homeless seeking a stable community and volunteer opportunities
- Limited on site residency for the homeless leaders/staff running the facility
- Free moving services for homeless transitioning into homes
- Assistance with apartment down payments for homeless transitioning into homes
- Assistance with rehab down payments and transportation for homeless seeking sobriety
- Seminars in Life and Job Skills